Sunday, December 21, 2008

Gotcha Rudy!

I can't believe it was 5 years ago today that I got Rudy. I was determined to get my mother a dog from Christmas (yes, I know it's not good to give pets for Christmas, and that's why I made sure I was prepared to take it myself if she didn't want it) and she had wanted a dachshund. I found a really darling little dog on a shelter website, and by the time I contacted them, he was gone. So I started looking at other shelter websites, and found another one...also gone. While I was happy that these shelter dogs got homes, it was not making my plans any easier.

So I looked in the paper and found an ad for someone selling miniature doxies, $250 each. They advertised that they had one for $150. So I went to look. I don't think I knew enough about puppy mills at the time, but knowing what I know now...I'm pretty sure he came from one. His mother died from an infection right after he was born. Probably from being bred way too much. Anyway.

So I drove out to this incredibly rural area, and found this guy with the dachshunds. He had one 9 month old who had been there since he was born. He had scars on his face and looked cowed. The guy said that he got in some fights in the kennel. He growled and snarled at me when he was brought out in his cage, but he eventually let me pet him. I knew she wanted a dog younger than that (although she probably would have been better suited to a little bit older dog, but she wanted a puppy) so I asked about the dogs that were $250. There was one left. He also brought out this darling beagle/dachshund mix, but we needed a dachshund, and the little black one it was. As soon as I held him he started to bite and pull at the neck on my turtleneck shirt. My heart was lost. I had not planned to bring him home that day, but the guy refused to hold him, so I wrote a hot check to pay for him (it was Sunday and I knew I could get it covered the next day) and put him in one of my dog crates that I left in the back of the truck. I put it in the front seat with me with the opening facing me so he could see me through the wire door and so I could stick my fingers in and love him while we drove the 45 minutes home. I had to stop at Petsmart to get him some things. I got him stuff for Christmas and then we went home.

The other dogs were not too impressed. Daisy was scared to death of him and walked in wide circles around him if she had to pass him. It was hysterical. Rose went over and tried to pick him up by the neck. At first I thought she was trying to bite him and kill him, but turns out she had a strong maternal instinct and she was trying to pick him up. She assigned herself as his nanny, and if he was into something or whining and I didn't hear, she would come get me. They are still good buddies.

I already posted the story of giving him to my mom (it's in the very first post I did if you missed that story and want to read it). I wish I had one of his puppy pictures on the computer. He was only the length of my foot! Maybe after Christmas I can get a scanner and scan some of my older (pre-digital camera) photos in so I can post them!

Happy Anniversary Rudy! You are the light of my heart!


Daffycat said...

Awww, I'm so glad Rudy found a good home. What a sweet story.

Lori-Ann said...

Aaaaw... I like stories :o) Scanner/printers are pretty cheap now. "HI RUDY!!"

Pumpkin said...

Great story Suz :o)