Thursday, October 16, 2008

Gather Ye Rosebuds While Ye May

I was looking at charts on the Heaven and Earth Designs site today...they have several John Williams Waterhouse paintings that have been adapted for cross stitch. I was adding to my wish list (or course!) and added this one called Gather Ye Rosebuds While Ye May:



The title is the first line from a poem by Robert Herrick (1591–1674) who was a 17th century poet. I really wish I had been more attentive in my 17th Century British Lit class in college...I had to look up the title of the poem. It is called To The Virgins, To Make Much Of Time. It is a beautiful poem with an important message.

5 comments:

mumzy said...

I just love that painting. If that painting is made into a cross stitch pattern, I expect it would be very beautiful but difficult to do. If you ever do that pattern, please put the picture of it on your blog.

Lori said...

I love the poem and the message rings true.
Now how do I explain it so that my teens get the point? LOL (so far they seem to understand young as they are.)

You know... I like reading about the 17th Century... but I don't think I could live the lifestyle.
1. It wasn't a sanitary period.
2. My Irish tongue would have gotten me beat up or perhaps beheaded.
GULP. ;o)
(a little secret... my new doggie pattern is in peom form. I think you may like it when it shows up)

Rachel S-H said...

I think those paintings are so beautiful, you can just look at them forever.

gwyneth said...

Love the poem and the painting. I would love to stitch a HAED piece, but I don't know that I have enough time left in my life. LOL.

Pumpkin said...

Lovely as a piece of art and that's all I'm going to say ;o)